PeopleSmart Consulting presents Dr Elizabeth Anne Riley.
Dr Elizabeth Riley is an accomplished professional providing Counselling, Clinical Supervision, Training and Professional Development and specialises in gender identity, supervision and ethics.
Elizabeth works in private practice as a counsellor at West Ryde in Sydney's west.
Gender Counselling & Supervision
Elizabeth gained extensive experience working with gender diverse clients at The Gender Centre for 7 years as the centre’s first professional counsellor and has been working with transgender clients and members of the LGBTIQ community since 1997. Elizabeth has a Masters in Counselling, a Graduate Diploma in Counselling and a PhD titled ‘The needs of gender variant children and their parents’. For the last 10 years Elizabeth has also been supporting trans teens, parents & families raising gender variant children through counselling, resources and referrals. Elizabeth also provides clinical supervision to clinicians working with the transgender community.
Find out more about the counselling service.
Specialist Gender Support & Resources for Parents
Through her research on the needs of gender variant children and their parents, Elizabeth has gained valuable insight and in conjunction with her experience in counselling transgender and transsexual individuals has developed a practical co-operative approach for working with parents raising gender variant children.
Find out more about the gender support & resources for parents.
Dr Riley is also a recognised skilled clinical supervisor for counselling and psychotherapy practitioners. Elizabeth provides clinical supervision for counselling practitioners and supervision of supervision for supervisors.
Elizabeth provides professional development & training:
- for schools where children are undertaking a social and gender transition
- to organisations where staff require awareness regarding the needs of people and or children with gender differences
- to health professionals who work with transgender adolescents and youth
- for counselling practitioners in supervision
Publications, Research, Presentations & Media links
Dr Riley has published and presented papers and workshops, both locally and internationally, in the areas of Gender Identity, Supervision, Ethics and Sexuality. Elizabeth is also a sought after presenter and speaker on Gender Identity, Supervision & Ethics.
Elizabeth has written curriculum in Ethics at both Undergraduate and Masters level and provides professional development in ethics to counselling and psychotherapy practitioners. Elizabeth was the Chair of Ethics for the Counselling & Psychotherapy Association of NSW and a counsellor, consultant and trainer for the Sydney Ethics Centre for over 10 years. Elizabeth is currently the Chair of the Ethics for the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA).
Memberships & Appointments
Elizabeth was a founding member of the executive committee of the Australian & New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health (ANZPATH) and is currently:
- a clinical member of the Counsellors and Psychotherapists Association of NSW (CAPA)
- a register member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA).
- a member of the Society for Counselling & Psychotherapy Educators (SCAPE)
- a professional member of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- a professional member of the Australian & New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health (ANZPATH)
- registered on the Australian Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapists (ARCAP)
- a trustee of the Carmen Rupe Memorial Trust
- the Chair of Ethics for the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA)